Sometimes we think of velvet as being a fabric strictly for end of year holidays, when I think it’s entirely appropriate for Valentine’s Day and beyond! Over a year ago I pattern tested this adorable little dress pattern, the Noelle Dress, by Made for Mermaids. I absolutely loved the red dress from the release photo and it was my DREAM to duplicate it in my toddler’s size.
I purchased some 2-way stretch velvet on clearance for $5/yd. The red dress in the release photos had some layers of tulle and a lining for the underskirt. It seemed like fun, so I purchased some tulle and lining at Joann’s and got to work.
A few days after I got all the pieces cut out, my husband told me we would be bringing Cici with us to his friend’s wedding. In fact, it was the morning of the wedding that we realized Cici was invited and the bride wanted her to be the flower girl. (This bride was super laid back – I don’t think I would have trusted a toddler to be my flower girl, lol!) Since the wedding would have lots of red, I knew my daughter needed this red velvet dress STAT!
I assembled her dress in 2 hours. That may not seem like very long to you, but I am a meticulous sewer. I like to take the time to make sure everything is done properly. Everything came together okay, except that I attached the high-low skirt backwards. Whoops!! With only minutes remaining to get us dressed and get makeup and hair done, I didn’t have time to fix it.
The wedding was in the couple’s home and it was beautiful, small and simple. Cici walked down the aisle with me in her red dress and threw her flower petals. She had the time of her life in that dress dancing to music and being thrown up in the air!
I know, you’re probably saying, “She said tulle – where’s the tulle?” There was another problem I noticed with the dress…the tulle REFUSED to behave. It stuck to itself in all the wrong ways and it ended up being a complete rat’s nest that wouldn’t lay pretty. I’m not sure what kind of tulle the designer used in her daughter’s red dress, but it couldn’t have been the tulle that I purchased.
*Most posts contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and purchase, I make a small commission, no cost to you. Thanks!*
I was finally able to fix the dress by removing the entire underskirt and replacing it with a velvet skirt. I’m bummed that my re-creation with the tulle didn’t work but I’m glad I had enough fabric to fix the dress! Now my daughter has a pretty Valentine’s Day dress that she will wear as long as the weather stays cool.
We really like this pattern – it’s very simple but has a super fun silhouette! The pattern fits very true to size for my daughter. If you decide to make this dress in a 2-way stretch fabric like I did, just be aware that the shoulder seam will come up higher. Honestly, I don’t really care because it’s just for a little girl and I’m just happy she has a pretty red dress!
Thanks for reading and happy sewing!