I drafted and cut out this skirt whilst (ha ha…like that word) watching coverage of Kate & William’s Royal Wedding. So maybe it should be called my ‘royal skirt.’
On second thought it reminds me more of an American barbershop quartet, so maybe not.
Anyway, I got the idea from Gertie’s blog for the skirt. My skirt didn’t turn out to look nearly as full because I didn’t use stiff fabric like taffeta, but I still love it. I decided to add pockets, so instead of using one long rectangle for the skirt portion, I used a bigger rectangle for the front piece and two smaller rectangles for the back. This way I could have seams down the sides for the pockets and a center back seam for an invisible zipper. My waistband was also in three pieces. The front piece ended up being more gathered in the front because I had to squish all the gatheriness (uh…yeah, it’s a word!) between the pockets. The pockets were worth the extra trouble.
It’s so nice to be able to have somewhere to stash my lip gloss and keys when I’m at church. Overall, I’m very pleased with the outcome. I did cut out the skirt a few inches too short, so I came back a few weeks later and added extra length on the edge. But, I bet you didn’t even notice because I covered up the seam with super fun vintage lace!! It’s probably not THAT vintage…I think it came from my mom’s 90’s stash of lace. However, it was the perfect finishing touch to a comfortable summer skirt.